Patient and Family Advisory Council
New London Hospital is launching a Patient and Family Advisory Council. We recognize that in order to best serve our community, it is important for us to include patients and their families in decision making. Our Patient and Family Advisory Council will offer a unique opportunity for us to cultivate a culture of patient and family centered care throughout our practices. The patient and their family are at the center of the health care delivery system at New London Hospital. Therefore, involvement of Patient & Family Advisors will enhance communication and improve patient satisfaction in a collaborative effort.
The Goals of this Council will include:
- Establishing a diverse membership.
- Expand the voices of patients and families.
- Identifying opportunities for improving the patient and family experience.
- Promoting and supporting culturally sensitive patient and family centered care.
- Sharing stories as a patient or family member within the New London Hospital system with care providers and other patients.
- Partnering with leadership on quality improvement work across the hospital setting.
Patient and Family Advisors (PFAs) will work in partnership with the hospital and outpatient clinics to create a patient-and family-centered care environment and experience. Advisors will provide the perspective of patients and families across a wide range of New London Hospital initiatives and give direct input on the decisions, policies and practices that affect the services our patients receive.
The Patient and Family Advisor:
- Can expect to have processes/terminology explained as needed, and de-briefing after each meeting, if requested.
- Will be listened to and respected for their insight and suggestions.
- Can expect a safe environment to discuss concerns.
- May be invited to attend educational sessions.
- Must be a patient (or family member of a patient) at New London Hospital or Newport Health Center who has received care within the last 1-2 years.
- Be able to provide insight and constructive feedback that will help our system improve the quality of care and customer service we provide.
- Be team-oriented, having a positive approach and ability to share, and see different points of view.
- Have the ability to share both positive and negative experiences in a constructive way.
- Have good listening skills.
- Have a willingness to communicate and work with patients, families, council members and hospital employees whose backgrounds, experiences, and styles may be different than their own.
- Respect, promote, and maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Be willing to commit the time and energy to fulfill the responsibilities of membership (i.e., attends regular meetings, actively participates, and provides constructive feedback in a collaborative manner).
- Support and promote the principles of patient and family-centered care.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in becoming a Patient and Family Advisor at New London Hospital, please contact our office of Patient Experience and Advocacy at 603-526-5467 or by emailing email@example.com.