We have created a Patient and Family Advisory Council to best serve our community because it's important for us to include patients and their families in decision-making.
Our Patient and Family Advisory Council offers a unique opportunity for us to cultivate a culture of patient and family-centered care throughout our practices. The patient and their family are at the center of the healthcare delivery system at New London Hospital. Therefore, the involvement of Patient and Family Advisors (PFAs) enhances communication and improves patient satisfaction in a collaborative effort.
For more information, please refer to the sections below:
The goals of the Council
The goals of the Patient and Family Advisory Council are to:
- Establish a diverse membership.
- Expand the voices of patients and families.
- Identify opportunities for improving the patient and family experience.
- Promote and support culturally sensitive patient and family-centered care.
- Share stories as a patient or family member within the New London Hospital system with providers and other patients.
- Partner with leadership on quality improvement work across the hospital setting.
PFAs partner with the hospital and outpatient clinics to create a patient- and family-centered care environment and experience. Advisors provide the perspective of patients and families across a wide range of New London Hospital initiatives and give direct input on the decisions, policies, and practices that affect the services our patients receive.
What to expect as a PFA
- You can expect to have processes/terminology explained as needed and de-briefing after each meeting, if requested.
- You will be listened to and respected for your insight and suggestions.
- You can expect a safe environment to discuss concerns.
- You may be invited to attend educational sessions.
- Be a patient (or family member of a patient) at New London Hospital or Newport Health Center who has received care within the last 1-2 years.
- Be able to provide insight and constructive feedback that will help our system improve the quality of care and customer service we provide.
- Be team-oriented, having a positive approach and ability to share, and see different points of view.
- Have the ability to share both positive and negative experiences in a constructive way.
- Have good listening skills.
- Have a willingness to communicate and work with patients, families, council members, and hospital employees whose backgrounds, experiences, and styles may be different from yours.
- Respect, promote, and maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Be willing to commit the time and energy to fulfill the responsibilities of membership (that is, attends regular meetings, actively participate, and provide constructive feedback in a collaborative manner).
- Support and promote the principles of patient and family-centered care.
How to apply
If you are interested in becoming a Patient and Family Advisor at New London Hospital, please complete and submit the form below.